Tuesday 10 September 2013

I Wish I Had a River I Could Skate Away On

When I hear Joni Mitchell sing those words, to borrow her own lyrics, I feel weak in the knees. I know it is a cold weather kind of song, but for some reason it sprang into my head today while I was paying my first visit to the acupuncturist. I have never really had occasion to explore complementary medicine, but I am making up for it now. With my face squished into the donut-like pillow waiting for the magic to happen I was trying desperately to still my thoughts and be peaceful but I find that a challenge at the best of times. Still, the relief was immediate and striking - even if my mind didn't really want to cooperate. I find myself so grateful that I can pursue some of these options - even for a short time. The business of appointments and the search for something resembling healing is a taxing one and you never really know what you will find. When it works it is like some kind of miracle. Yet still sometimes all you really want to do is skate away to some other place and time - to escape the need to heal and to feel the same relief in the mind as in the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment