Monday 3 February 2014

We All Sit in Judgement...

And by "we" - I mean the collective we - when news of celebrity deaths circulate. I am referring to the tragic loss of Phillip Seymour Hoffman - believed to be related to a heroin overdose and the incredulous circumstances that would lead a relatively young man to "choose" ingesting a drug on his priority list above - say - his three very young children. His acting, which if you don't know of it, was spell-binding - clearly influenced by the pathos of his personal life and the brutal toll of addiction in shaping every aspect of one's life - the ultimate acting role. Asking why - like throwing rocks into a still pool - wave after wave and no straight line - no clear answer to lean on. All I can say is with respect to my previous post - had someone offered me an overdose on Saturday I would have ended everything without batting an eyelash...would have jumped at the opportunity to stop the overwhelming pain.
Still, I can't help but feel the rage of yet another loss too soon and the hypocrisy of a drug policy that begets lives for some puritanical idea of abstinence from what numbs. (Budweiser anyone? Cold Coors perhaps?) Enlightened drug policy, medically prescribed and monitored, the only solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment